Learning to Solder Sterling Silver with FSG-NE 2/13/17


  




Hello Friends~
Yesterday was a day I have been anticipating for quite awhile. I have really been wanting to add soldering to my skill set and I finally had the opportunity. 



Back in December I decided to join the Florida Society of Goldsmiths [NE Chapter]. They are open to all jewelers who work in metals, not just gold.  Upon joining I saw an opportunity to take classes and I immediately signed up for soldering. 

I hopped in the car and made my way to Deland, FL, less than 30 minutes from my house, to the 'Artisan's Alley' where the FSGNE has a work shop. 

My prototype
I checked in along with 7 other students and we grabbed a bench and got started. The project would be made from circles, but could be your choice. Many chose to make a ring, but I opted for earrings.
First we made coils and used a jewelers saw to cut them. Let's just say my sawing needs work! 






Next came the actual soldering. Here I learned that patience is key.


I chose to fire on a kiln brick.


In this picture you can see the quench bowl, the copper tongs, flux brush and of course the torch.



























Here are my soldered and quenched pieces,  now ready for the pickle bath.











Here is what I made. 
Here you see me in action! A classmate was kind enough to offer to take a couple of pics for me making the balled headpins for ear wires. In hindsight it does look like I am torching the flux brush - haha
I also showed several students how to make their own ear wires. The student can also be a teacher.

Below you see my final project. There are some quirks and wonky bits but I am really pleased. I foresee a big supplies purchase in my future. I can definitely say I'm HOOKED!
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Be on the lookout for more posts about my new addiction!


Comments

  1. Very exciting!!!! It will be fun to keep up with your progress...I'm at the beginning of the soldering learning curve myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I'd love to learn soldering like that also and am sure there are places around here to do so, I just can't seem to make the leap. Great job in taking that jump forward. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve with this new skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking it as a class helped me overcome the intimidation I felt about using FIRE! It was great to be in a controlled environment and have a good teacher. Go for it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts